A simple glance at current headlines indicates that our world is in desperate need of a peace-maker!
- Pope Francis arrives in Egypt for a two-day visit with Muslims and Christians to promote peace, Los Angeles Times
- U.S. says “Major Conflict” with N. Korea possible, China warns of escalation, Washington Post
- Iran summons Pakistan envoy, demands action over killing of guards
- Jews, Muslims bicker over New Carpet in Jerusalem shrine (sounds like my former Baptist church experience ☹)
Here’s one of my favorites from right after Christmas last year! ☺
- Priest brawl with brooms at Church of the Nativity, Religious News Network
Peace: noun \ˈpēs\
- a state of tranquility or quiet: such as
- freedom from civil disturbance (Peace and order were finally restored in the town)
- a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom
Peace. Everyone wants it. But few really find it!
“For from the least to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for unjust gain; and from prophet to priest, everyone deals falsely. They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying, ‘Peace, Peace,’ when there is no peace.” Jeremiah 6:13-14
“They have healed the wound of My people lightly, saying, ‘Peace, Peace,’ when there is no peace…We looked for peace, but no good came; for a time of healing, but behold, terror!” Jeremiah 8:11,15
Peace with God:
- “We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” Romans 5:1
- “Through Him (Christ Jesus) He reconciled all things to Himself, making peace by the blood of His cross” Colossians 1:20
- “He Himself is our peace…reconciling us through the cross, thereby killing the hostility” Ephesians 2:16
Peace of God:
- “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful!” Colossians 3:15
- “Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these (new heavens and new earth in which righteousness dwells), be diligent to be found by Him without spot or blemish, and at peace.” 2 Peter 3:14
- “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord IS at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses understanding, WILL guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7
- “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock!” Isaiah 26:3
Peace with Others:
- “Where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. A harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” James 3:18
- “Be at peace among yourselves.” 1 Thessalonians 5:13
- “If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peaceably with all.” Romans 12:18
- “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.” Romans 14:17-19
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace…” Galatians 5:22
There is no true and lasting peace apart from a restored relationship with the living God through the sufficient substitutionary death of His Son. But the great good news is this: There IS true peace available through His Son!
“Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other.” Psalm 85:10
See you Sunday, Church!